While surfing on Pinterest looking for birthday images, I came across a blog about a lady Robyn who celebrated her birthday by completing 38 random acts of kindness. Since my birthday was just around the corner, I was inspired to do something similar. This year I turned 28. So, I decided to complete 28 random acts of kindness throughout the month of November. Not only was it meaningful because it was my birthday month, but it was also Thanksgiving. What better way to show thanks than to give to others and put a smile on someone’s face?
1. I brought coffee to a friend at work one morning.
2. Send sweets to the troops through a drive my school was doing.
3. Donated canned food to metropolitan ministries.
4. After getting my car washed, I left double the tip I usually would for the young man washing my car.
5. I went through my garage and made a donation to Goodwill.
6. I picked up a video game for hubs when he wasn’t able to get to the store.
7. I handed a $5 Starbucks giftcard to the person walking in the store as I was walking out. She was shocked and didn’t know what to do. =-)
8. I baked cookies and brownies for the custodians at work.
9. I baked more goodies for a local fire station.
10. I made a toys for tots donation for a 15 year old girl.
11. I made a toys for tots donation for an 11 year old boy.
12. I donated old books to the library.
13. On Thanksgiving I gave the cashier at Walgreens a Dunkin Donuts gift card while buying a paper.
14. I earned a free butterball turkey through Pampered Chef. I wrote the certificate out to Metropolitan Ministries and sent it.
15. I sent baked goods to a friend who had a lot on her plate.
16. I stuck a gift card in one of my favorite Nicholas Sparks books at Barnes & Noble.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t great about photographing the rest of my acts of kindness….
17. I donated my old beanie babies to a local children’s hospital.
18. We donated unused faucets to Habitat for Humanity.
19. I found a credit card left in an ATM and returned it to the customer service station at the mall.
20. Paid for the coffee for the man behind me at Dunkin Donuts.
21. Gave an extra coupon I had to the person behind me at JoAnn Fabrics.
22. Printed an extra coupon to Kirklands and gave it to the person in front of me.
23. Gave my mom my black pair of Revas that were a little too big.
24. Donated to Dress for Success
25. Made a donation to St. Jude’s at Loft.
26. Made a donation to homeless pets at Petco.
27. Paid the shipping for a Pampered Chef customer who had to reorder something because her dog ate it.
28.Sent lots of cookies and treats to my husbands work with a note that said Happy Monday!
This is definitely going to be a yearly mission for me. It brought me so much joy and really opened my eyes. It takes something so little to make a positive impact in someone else’s life. I shared this experience with my third graders and as a class they/we decided they would complete their own acts of kindness. So, over Thanksgiving break they all had a goal to do two acts of kindness. I was so proud of them and loved reading the sweet things they did for others. I strongly encourage you to do this for your birthday one year or over the holiday season.
you are amazing. absolutely amazing.
you have inspired me, and i can't wait to start doing this!!
This is so inspiring. I really want to create my own plan for doing acts of kindness like this. I bet you brightened so many people's days by doing these things. Thanks for being awesome and sharing your experiences!
Wow! This is a great list of acts of kindness!! You did so much!!
Married...with a Pup says
Wow! This is seriously so amazing. You are so thoughtful!!
MJ @ Teaching in Heels says
You're amazing!! What a wonderful way to spread holiday joy, any time of year!
i love this! i bet you made those peoples days when you surprised them with those gift cards 🙂
Jessica Bradford says
You are such a sweet person. I would love to pass on the kindness and do some of these myself. Thank you for sharing.
The Wallace Family says
Such a great idea gonna do this for my 28 birthday in August!! Thanks for the inspiration:)
Lyrics by Lindsey says
I am so inspired! I love that you took pictures for each day – and I have to say that leaving a gift card in one of your favorite books in the store is probably my favorite! I am so excited to start my own 27 Acts in April! Thank you so much for sharing!
the workaholic momma says
wow…how wonderful!!! Its people like you that make this world a better place:)
I hope you had a wonderful weekend and good Monday!!
Tickled Pink says
This is fabulous!! I want to do this!! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!!
The Wardlaw Family says
Wow! You are truly admirable! I donated some shirts and scarves to a family yesterday that didn't have very much and I just hope it's makes their Christmas a little brighter. 🙂
This is amazing! It brought tears to my eyes!! Thank you for posting 🙂
Becca Moss says
I love this! You're amazing, so so sweet!