Last weekend, my littles and I baked away. Two of their favorite pre-teen friends came over to join in the fun. Our plan was Valentine’s goodies, a whole bunch of them!
One of the first recipes we started with were these red velvet brookies. I first made pumpkin brookies a few years back. You can see that post here. They were pretty easy and so so good. So, for Valentine’s Day this year- I decided to make them again but with red velvet cake mix. And instead of making the cookie mix from scratch this time, I went with store bought cookie dough. The prep time for this recipe is less than 10 minutes. The best part is it was easy for the kids to do on their own. They had a lot of fun making these.
The recipe below is for using a regular 9×13 baking dish for the brookies. I used my Pampered Chef brownie pan for these. If you need someone to purchase at the next PC party you attend, this is a must have. You can also find them on amazon, like this one for $8! Using this pan, I baked them for just 20 minutes and had leftover batter. Which we then used to make more brookies in the shape of hearts, also using the leftover cookie dough.
Half of these were placed in little plastic bags and handed out to teachers the following Monday. I can’t keep them in the house, or we’d eat them all! So, if you’re looking for an easy Valentine’s Day recipe- definitely give these a try!
*Affiliate links used in this post*
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk I used almond milk
- 1 egg large
- 1/2 package chocolate chip cookie dough
- Grease 9x13 baking pan or line with parchment paper. Mix together cake mix, vegetable oil, egg and milk. The mix will be thicker than a typical cake mix.
- Spread cake mix into bottom of the baking pan. Make sure it's evenly spread over entire pan.
- Break apart 1/2 of the package of cookie dough into 1-2 inch pieces. Gently place the cookie dough onto the top of the red velvet cake mix. Do this throughout the entire pan. Leave about an inch in between the pieces of cookie dough, lightly pressing the pieces down.
- Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before cutting and serving. ENJOY!
Leave a Reply