Today is National Pie Day. What better way to celebrate than sharing a recipe for a quick and easy chocolate pie with peppermint whipped cream?
Back in November, I ran with an idea I’ve had for a while. I started teaching kids baking classes. The first class was the day before Thanksgiving. When planning what to make, I knew that pie had to be on the list.
My only concern with adding pie to the list, was not having enough time. It was a two hour class with about 6 kids. I needed something that would be able to be made in that time and also set enough for the whipped topping.
My mom has always made the best chocolate pie. She always makes it for Thanksgiving and it’s always a hit. Best of all, it’s semi-homemade- quick and easy to make. I decided to go with the way she makes it, but using individual pie crusts which would allow the pie to set before the two hours was up.
Below you’ll find the recipe for the pie. I also made homemade whipped cream to go with. I thought it would be fun for the kids to make during the class. I have a Pampered Chef whipped cream maker, which is what I used But, here is a similar one on Amazon. The recipe for whipped cream is below as well.
The kids had a great time making these mini pies. They were really easy and everything worked out time wise. They made the filling right when class started. We put the pies immediately into the fridge and left them for an hour. By the time the hour was up, the pie was set and we made the whipped cream. To top them off, we used shaved chocolate. All you need for that is a grater and a bar or semi-sweet chocolate(see pic above.) Again, really easy but looks like you spend hours making. Enjoy!
*affiliate links are used in this post*
- 1 box cook & serve chocolate pudding 5 oz
- 2 cups whole milk
- 12 pie crusts individual- graham crusts
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 tbs powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 bar chocolate semi-sweet chocolate bar
- PIE: Prepare pudding according to package directions. Once cooked, allow to cool for 5 minutes. Pour pudding into individual pie shells (2/3 full) and place in refrigerator. Refrigerate until completely set.
- WHIPPED TOPPING: Pour heavy whipping cream into the container of the Whipped Cream Maker. Add powdered sugar and peppermint extract. Replace the lid to secure. Pump the handle until contents reach the desired consistency. If it's not sweet enough, add more sugar.
- Using a grater, grate chocolate on top of the pies.
Hi Leah, Great recipe. I love chocolate pie and whipped cream. I will try with peppermint next time. Thanks.
Nang recently posted…How Long Will Whipped Cream Hold Up?